The Trail takes you into the oldest parts of the Town of Ramsey which developed from a small fishing village centered round the present harbour area. the Trail will take you to several of the oldest surviving buildings in the Town which have played a significant part in the Town's history. Much of the old Town was lost in the re-development of South Ramsey, but the best of what remains will be seen by completing the Trail.
1. Ramsey Town Hall
Erected originally in 1888 to house Ramsey Town Commissioners, which since its formation in 1865 had no permanent home. The old Town hall was a fine example of Victorian architecture,it was unique in that in one side of the building was housed the Ramsey Fire Brigade.
By 1971, the then Commissioners decided that the fabric of the building was beyond economic repair and consequently demolished it. It was replaced with, what was at the time, a modern building designed by Mr J P Lomas and was opened in 1972.
That 70's design was demolished and replaced with the current Town Hall and Public Library in 2002.
The pictures on the right show the changes over time to what we have now...
14. Silver Fountain & Lamp Standard, Market Square
17. The Swing Bridge
Ramsey Swing Bridge was built in 1892 by the Cleveland Engineering Company at a cost of £20,325 primarily to transport people to the other side of the harbour, to the newly built housing that had emerged around this time.
The bridge is still the main access route across the harbour. At certain times of the day the bridge is closed to cars and pedestrians when it is swung out to allow tall mast boats through.
18. Ramsey Railway Station - Ramsey Bakery
Ramsey Station was a station on the Manx Northern Railway, later owned and operated by the Isle of Man Railway; it served the town of Ramsey in the Isle of Man.
The terminus was a line that ran between St. John's and this station, which was the railway's headquarters.